Chocolate Galore - Dangers to Dogs

Easter Eggs – Chocolate Galore


With Easter just around the corner, it’s easy for our minds to daydream of long bank holiday weekends and endless chocolate goodness. However, whilst in moderation chocolate may be a yummy treat for us humans, for our precious pets at home, it can be seriously harmful if ingested.


It is important to remember that chocolate contains a toxic ingredient called theobromine.  Amounts of theobromine in chocolate can vary, typically with darker chocolate containing higher levels than milk or white chocolate. Humans are able to metabolise theobromine but dogs lack the vital enzyme required to break it down effectively, which is why it can be harmful and sometimes even fatal if consumed.


So, whilst the Easter bunny is out delivering all good children (and adults!) irresistible chocolate treats, please remember to keep it well out of your dog’s reach by storing in a cupboard or up high.  Ensure you dispose of wrappers safely too, to prevent any stealing from the dustbin! Of course, everyone in the family deserves a tasty Easter treat, so why not take a look at our range of delicious treats that are perfect for your dog this holiday season.


 Symptoms of chocolate toxicity in dogs can include;

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased heart rate
  • Restlessness
  • Retching
  • Collapse
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Death


Help! I think my dog has eaten some chocolate!!


Ok don’t panic. Contact your vet immediately, they will be able to tell you what steps to take next.


*** According to NFU Mutual the average vet bill in 2016 for dogs who had eaten something they shouldn’t was around £600!!! Nearly one in 4 claims involved chocolate with one in ten involving dried fruit or grapes.*


Got a story for us? We would love to hear it.  Email us.

Download attached document

Chocolate Galore - Dangers to Dogs

 Easter, Chocolate, Dangerous to dogs, vet advice