Quick takeaways for pet-safe gardening
Sometimes, it can be tricky to keep your dog from eating things they shouldn’t. However, it’s important to remember that your plants at home could be potentially dangerous to them.
- Many popular plants like lilies and daffodils are surprisingly toxic to dogs.
- Symptoms of poisoning in dogs include vomiting and difficulty breathing – and can range from mild to severe.
- Opt for non-toxic plants or create a dog-friendly zone in your garden.
It's essential to know which plants pose a risk to your dog's health if they ingest them.
So, here we dive into a list of common plants that are poisonous to dogs, the symptoms to watch out for, and tips on keeping your garden pet-friendly.
12 plants that are poisonous to dogs
Lilies are a major no-go for dog owners.
While they’re more commonly known for being toxic to cats, certain types like Peace, Tiger, and Daylilies can cause severe kidney damage in dogs, too.
These vibrant shrubs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even coma or death in rarer severe cases. Just a few leaves can make your dog ill.
Oleander is highly toxic. Ingesting even a small amount can lead to serious issues like heart failure.
4. Sago Palm
Often found indoors, the Sago Palm is extremely poisonous. Its seeds are the most toxic part, causing liver failure and potentially death.
Tulip bulbs contain toxins that can cause mouth and stomach irritation, leading to drooling, diarrhea, and vomiting.
Foxgloves could affect your dog’s heart. Symptoms of poisoning include heart rate changes, vomiting, and lethargy.
7. Autumn Crocus
Ingesting Autumn Crocus can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure.
Yews are often used in landscaping and can cause central nervous system effects like trembling, incoordination, and difficulty breathing.
Similar to Azaleas, this poisonous perennial can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and potential heart failure in dogs.
Daffodil bulbs are toxic, causing vomiting, diarrhea, and even severe heart problems.
With their large blooms, Hydrangeas are deceptively dangerous and may cause stomach upset, vomiting, and lethargy if your dog ingests them.
12. English Ivy
This is a climber to avoid – the plant can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, and diarrhea.
Recognising the signs – symptoms of plant poisoning
Identifying plant poisoning early could save your dog's life.
Symptoms vary but often include:
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Excessive drooling
- Lethargy or depression
- Changes in urine and thirst
- Abdominal pain
- Seizures or tremors
- Difficulty breathing
How to keep your dog safe
There are a few steps you can take to prevent your dog from being poisoned:
Choose non-toxic plants like petunia, snapdragon, or rose – create a designated dog-friendly zone with safe plants and space for play.
- Familiarise yourself with toxic plants and remove them from your home and garden.
- Supervise your dog during walks and in the garden.
- Consider pet-safe alternatives for your garden.
- Train your dog to avoid eating plants.
- Keep emergency vet contact information handy.
Making your garden pet-friendly
You could also use fencing or barriers to protect both your plants and your pet.
Consider switching up your house plants if any of yours are toxic to animals.
In case of emergency – what to do
If you think your dog might have eaten one of these poisonous plants, take these steps:
- Don’t panic – remove any plant material from their mouth
- Contact your vet immediately
- Follow your vet's instructions carefully
The bottom line
Creating a pet-safe environment takes awareness and a bit of effort, but it’s worth it for your dog’s health and your peace of mind.
By knowing which plants are harmful and taking steps to prevent your dog from getting too close, you can ensure a safe, happy home for your beloved pooch.
Keep your dog healthy and happy with Nature’s Menu meal plans – offering balanced, nutritious meals for every stage of your dog's life.